Friday, July 21, 2017

Ultra MegaMax Dominator (UMMD) 3D Printer

Ultra MegaMax Dominator (aka UMMD) is my third 3D printer design/build.  I used much of what I learned from its predecessors, and tried a few experiments, resulting in a very high quality machine that produces very high quality prints.  Time will tell if it meets my reliability goals.

Basic specs:



This project started about a year ago with the design of the XY mechanism.  That sat for about 6 months until I decided to finish it up, adding the Z axis design and finally the frame and enclosure.  I posted progress reports at the reprap forums as the design work and construction progressed.

A lot of the work was done in the machine shop at the Milwaukee Makerspace.  I could not have progressed as far or as fast without the people, equipment, materials, and tools available at the makerspace.  I strongly recommend that you find and join your local makerspace.

Upcoming posts will be using a lot of CAD drawings, photos, and hand drawn diagrams to explain the details of the design, hopefully without too much text.  This printer was designed using DesignSpark Mechanical, a very powerful, yet easy to learn and use, free-enough CAD package.  I will be posting the master file for download, but you'll need a copy of DSM to open and edit it.

In the future I'll be switching over to Autodesk Fusion360 because of its built in ability to produce files for CAM.  Fusion360 CAM files can drive CNC mills and routers at the makerspace.

Parts sources


I bought the used, 40x40 mm t-slot from a local scrap yard for $1 per lb.  Cast aluminum tooling plate came from Howard Precision Metals in Milwaukee for $2 per lb.  Motors, belts, linear guides, power supplies, and miscellaneous hardware were purchased through Amazon.com, ebay, and Aliexpress.  A few other parts came from the Milwaukee Makerspace and from people at the makerspace.  All of the machining of parts was done at the makerspace.

I won't be providing a BOM for this printer.  You'll be able to gather a lot of it from the CAD file, and your chances of finding the exact same parts I used at reasonable prices are slim to none, so you're going to have to adapt the design to the parts you have or can get.  If you can't figure out the necessary mods to the design, you might be better off buying a kit.

Details, details...


Check some of the other posts for details about:

Print Bed and Support Structure
CoreXY Mechanism
Z Axis Design Rev 1
Z Axis Design Rev 2
Z Axis Design Rev 3 (final)
Electronics
Frame Construction and Enclosure

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comments or a questions here and I'll try to post a response as soon as I can.