Monday, July 29, 2024

A Stand for the SVS 3000 Micro Subwoofer

I recently got an SVS 3000 Micro subwoofer to add some low bass to my stereo system. It's amazing what 265 mm cube box can do. It's available in shiny "piano" white or black finish. I went with white so it wouldn't show cat hair.

Ms. Kitty's fur gets everywhere, so I have a robot vacuum cleaner that scoots around and cleans most of it up between vacuuming jobs with a real vacuum cleaner. I didn't like the idea of the robot vacuum cleaner bumping into the subwoofer over and over (or even once), so I decided to make a small stand for it. I measured the vacuum cleaner and found that 100 mm of lift was all the sub needed.

I made a CAD model of the sub for this project and maybe others in the future, then designed the stand. The sub's feet are set at the corners of a 196 mm square.


This is a CAD rendering of the sub sitting on the stand. This is how I often make CAD drawings- just enough detail so see what I need and to design 3D printed parts like the end caps for the verticals. Eight 1/4-20 button head cap screws hold the whole thing together.

I dug out some left over 1" t-slot aluminum and took it to the makerspace and cut and milled it to size (4x 170.6mm and 4x 100 mm), then drilled some tool access holes and threaded the center holes with a 1/4-20 tap. Finally, adding some 3D printed TPU end caps for the vertical t-slot pieces prevent the sharp edges of the t-slot from damaging the sub's feet or the floor.


Printing end caps on UMMD using white TPU to match the sub. With the 1 mm nozzle printing in 0.5mm layers, prints are a little sloppy but finish in about 20 minutes. A diagonal cutter quickly cleans off the blebs and hairs.

I assembled the pieces on a granite counter top that is pretty flat and everything came out square and very solid. The TPU end caps fit tightly and stay put without any screws or glue.


The sub on the stand. Vertical t-slot pieces are 100 mm long and horizontal pieces are 170.6 mm long. I used white TPU to print jam-fit end caps for the verticals.

Now it's safe from the robot vacuum cleaner!


Update 8/3/24: I forgot that I had ordered some screw-in rubber feet for this project and they were delivered today. I installed them and now the sub sits just a little higher off the floor. The screw -in feet are nice because the floors in the old building I live in are neither flat nor level, so now I can make adjustments as needed.


It's hard to see them, but they are there- black rubber screw-in feet. They have 1/4-20 threads and I tapped the frame parts before I assembled them, so they were ready for the feet.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comments or a questions here and I'll try to post a response as soon as I can.