Saturday, August 31, 2024

1982 Luxman RX103 Stereo Receiver

Update 24/08/31:

I just realized that the blogger program didn't provide links to large images. I'll try to fix it.


Original post:

I recently acquired a 1982 vintage Luxman RX103 "suck-face" stereo receiver. Luxman is a high end Japanese brand that you don't see much of in the US. More info here. This thing puts out 90 W/channel, can drive 2 Ohm loads, and has a built in phono preamp for MM and MC cartridges. 

The unit is working now, but for how much longer? I got it thinking I might recap it and keep using it for a long time. Then I opened it up and what I saw made my blood run cold! There are at least 24 circuit boards with over 100 electrolytic caps that will need replacement. They don't make 'em like this any more (thank God!).

If I can work up the courage to start taking it apart, I may try a recap job on it. I'm not sure when, so I thought I'd post some photos now because I didn't see many quality photos of the insides anywhere online. You can download the service manual here.

Enjoy!


The front panel. Very 80s weird, isn't it?

Rear panel. Antenna connectors on the upper left, speakers on upper right- weird connector type for plain wire. That was before the audio marketing Gods decided that we need $1000 speaker cables that look like you could use them to jump start a bulldozer.


Top view. Look at that heatsink! Look at those cables! Look at all those PCBs!



Bottom view. Look at those crazy output transistor packages! Look at the cables! I count 10 PCBs in this picture.



Preamp board. I count 32 electrolytic caps in this photo. It's actually pretty nice that they kept the input switches at the back, close to the jacks.


Power amplifier board, bottom side.


Filter switches. Notice all the cable plugs are labeled and each wire has a distinctive mark or color- nice!


I'm not sure what this board is, but there's the headphone jack.




AM/FM tuner board. I count 36 electrolytic caps in this photo.


Power transformer and a few relays.


Nope, not sure what this board is for.


Nope, not this one either. You can see a little of the suck-face mechanism under the green PCB.


Original Elna power amp power supply filter caps, still looking healthy after 42 years.


I'm not sure what this board is for. Do you think they used enough cables?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comments or a questions here and I'll try to post a response as soon as I can.